MDDHosting is another one of the WebHostingTalk forum’s favorites. I gave them a try to see if they could live up to the hype. The experience was great and they’re now on my list of favorites.
Things I Like:
- No “unlimited bandwidth” nonsense in their advertising (it doesn’t exist!)
- Prorated refunds are an option, but only if you haven’t violated their TOS and if you haven’t asked for a refund on a previous account. I think both of these requirements are 100% fair.
- They are loaded with different hosting plans, including five different types: shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, dedicated and reseller hosting.
- The standard cPanel is used as your control panel. It’s the easiest platform to use and makes accomplishing tasks simple and straightforward.
- Unlimited domains.
- They use the Softaculous script installer inside the cPanel. It’s by far the best way to get a CMS on your site.
- Brilliant phone support. You’re put right through and the customer service rep is always very good at answering questions.
- Really solid mixture of in house support and outsourced support. It seems when you submit a ticket late into the night it’s almost always someone not from the U.S. – though this makes sense because it’s hard to have in-house support when you offer 24/7 services. In my experience, even the late night support issues were handled well.
- Average response time on a ticket is under five minutes and you almost always get your questioned answered correctly the first time.
- Best chat support in the industry! Chat support is usually awful, but MDDHosting has done a good job here.
- My Uptime Test: 99.96%. This is fantastic.
Things I Hate:
- It’s nitpicky, but the stupid homepage countdown timer makes me angry (read more below).
- Pricing is a little high, but in my opinion you’re definitely getting what you pay for.
- Uptime is average. Last year, while monitoring, my uptime was 99.78%. I reported this to them, and my account was credited for a free month of hosting – a good way to turn a negative into a positive. They’ve cleaned up this uptime issue.
- As a very young company (just 6 years old), we’ll have to see how they handle large amounts of growth.
- Average Server Response Time: 1204 ms. This is a little slower than I’d like.
This is so small – and in the overall picture of things it’s not a big deal. But this REALLY pisses me off. On MDDHosting’s homepage, they have a section that says, “The coupon code “25OFF” gives 25% off on a one time basis…. Hurry up! This offer expires in: …”. Then, there’s a countdown timer (counts down from 5 days) right next to the text. You must have to pay the full price after the timer is up, right? Actually the countdown timer is a countdown timer for when the next countdown timer will show up. The coupon offer never goes away. While I know this was done with marketing in mind, it’s pretty lame. Don’t treat your customers like idiots.
After 90 days of service, they sent me a check-up email. It actually seemed like a personalized email, not something automated. They asked me to give them some things that I didn’t like and any troubles that I’ve run into. I told them that I was feeling pretty good about the company overall, but I added that I noticed the uptime was a little below their 99.9% uptime guarantee (99.78% – not a big deal). They immediately apologized and extended my due date a month with no argument or hassle.